Indian gooseberry, better known as amla, was considered as a miraculous food in the ancient Ayurveda. The abundance of vitamin C and other nutrients make it a super food and it’s still used in various forms for its well-known health benefits
Gooseberry Health Benefits :
1. Helpful in Cold and Sore Throat
2. Rich Source of Vitamin C
3. Reduces Indigestion and Constipation
4. Cures Sleeplessness or Insomnia
5. Secures against Heart Diseases
6. Helps in Reducing the Ill Effects of Smoking
7. Reduces the Risk of Stone Formation
8. Restricts Free Radical Skin Damage:
Nutritional in Gooseberry :
Amla is a very low calorie fruit. It contains mere 60 calories per 100 grams of serving. Amla has high water content. It contains almost 80% of water per fruit. It is a rich source of dietary fiber and carbohydrates. It also provides nutrients like Vitamin A, B, C, E and K. It also contains minerals like calcium, phosphorus and antioxidants.
1. Energy 44 Kcal
2. Carbohydrates 10.18 g
3. Protein 0.88 g
4. Vitamin A 290 IU
5. Vitamin C 27.7 mg
6. Zinc 0.12 mg
Preparation and serving methods :
1. Fresh, succulent, sweet gooseberries can be eaten all alone as table fruits/salads, especially some varieties like red-London, purple, early sulphur, etc.
2. Tart, astringent quality berries are favored in fish, poultry, and meat dishes.
3. They are used in agro-food industry to prepare jam, jellies, juice, sauce, chutney, etc.
4. The berries are also used in muffins, pie-fillings, and ice creams.
For Gooseberry details in Hindi check here – Gooseberry In Hindi