Past Perfect Tense
Definition: The past perfect tense shows actions or events that began and ended in the past before something else happened. To use this form, combine “had” + past participle (verb + “ed” or irregular past tense verbs).
Definition in Hindi For Indian Users:
पहचान: इन वाक्यों के अंत में आ था /ई थी /ऐ थे /चुका था /चुकी थी/चुके थे आता है।
जैसे: Sub ने ऐसा… किया था /कर लिया था /कर दिया था / Sub ऐसा कर चुका था।
राम जा चुका था।
वे खेलने जा चुके थे।
सीता पढने जा चुकी थी।
राम ने खाना खा लिया था।
सीता ने पेड़ों मैं पानी डाल दिया था।
1. An action started and completed in the past before another past action. The second action is also a past action, but the past perfect tense is used only for the action which happened first.
>We HAD CARRIED our suitcases upstairs before we realized we were at the wrong hotel.
>HAD you LOST your keys yet when you called me last night?
2. An action that was occurring over a period of time, but ended before another past action. It signifies that the first action had to end for the second action to happen. This does not apply to continuous verbs.
>She HAD STUDIED medicine for 8 years before she graduated in 2008.
>HAD you STOPPED the car before you put it into neutral gear?
If Sub=I, You, Singular(एकवचन) or Plural(बहुवचन) (Same rule for all subjects)
1. Sub+had+Verb 3rd form
2. Sub+hadn’t+Verb 3rd form
3. How+had+Sub+Verb 3rd form
4. Why+hadn’t+Sub+Verb 3rd form
- She had written the lyric.
- The children had reached market.
- The teacher had taught French.
- I had informed him everything.
- She had proved her honesty.
- She had not got so much cold before.
- They had not submitted their applications.
- The government had not been kind to the citizen.
- I had not felt so hungry.
- It had not rained for two years.
- Had you had your dinner?
- Had she withdrawn her money?
- Why had they left the city?
- Why had you been there?
- What had they decided by then?