Definition: The past simple tense expresses actions, facts, or events that were started and completed in the past. To form this, combine a verb + “ed”, or use an irregular verb.
Definition in Hindi For Indian Users:
ये वाक्य 2 प्रकार के होते हैं।
1st type: Sub ने ऐसा… किया था(एक बार- Once )
2nd type: Sub ऐसा… करता था (अक्सर- Many times)
पहचान: इन वाक्यों के अंत में आ था /ई थी /ऐ थे /आ /ई /ऐ आता है।
राम कल अदालत गया था। (1st type)
राम कल अदालत गया। (1st type)
वे खेलने जाते थे। (2st type)
सीता पढने जाती थी। (2st type)
There Are 5 Different Circumstances In Which The Past Simple Tense Is Used:
1. An action that was started and completed at a certain time in the past. You do not necessarily have to state the time the action was completed in order to use the past simple tense.
1. I TURNED the car on this morning.
2. DID you TURN the car on this morning?
3. The sun DIDN’T RISE before 7AM last week.
2. Multiple actions started and completed at a certain time in the past. This is just like use 1, except that there is more than one action mentioned.
1. She DROVE to the store, BOUGHT mulch for the garden, and SPREAD it in the yard yesterday.
2. DID you TAKE out the trash, WASH the windows, and CLEAN the house earlier?
3. I WALKED downstairs, TURNED on the light, and LOOKED in the fridge for a snack last night.
3. Periods of time that began and ended during the past. To show that an action was ongoing for a certain duration of time, make sure you state for how long it was happening.
1. For six years, she CARED for her elderly mother.
2. We SAT at the restaurant for thirty minutes.
3. They LIVED in Michigan for the last three years.
4. Past habits that are no longer going on. As if you were reminiscing about something you used to do, it’s common to put some sort of indication about when it was that this habit was ongoing.
1. We TALKED for hours when we were kids.
2. After class, we often WALKED to the ice cream parlor.
5. Statements of fact that were true in the past but may not be true anymore.
1. She always DREW pictures of horses as a kid, but now she doesn’t draw at all.
2. DID you LIKE to run while in college?
Rule For How To Make Tense:
1. 1st type of tenses (Subject did some work Once)
If Sub= I, You, Singular(एकवचन) or Plural(बहुवचन) (Same for all Subjects) Then:
1. Sub+Verb 2nd form
2. Sub+didn’t+Verb 1st form
3. How+did+Sub+Verb 1st form
4. Why+didn’t+Sub+Verb 1st form
Speaking in Stress or loudly: Sub+did+Verb 1st form Sentence using Never : Sub+never+Verb 2nd form
2. 2nd type of tenses (Subject did some work many times)
If Sub= I, You, Singular(एकवचन) or Plural(बहुवचन)(Same for all Subjects) Then:
1. Sub+used to+Verb 1st form 2. Sub+didn’t+use to+Verb 1st form 3. How+did+Sub+use to+Verb 1st form 4. Why+didn’t+Sub+use to+Verb 1st form
Speaking in Stress or loudly: Sub+did+use to+Verb 1st form. Sentence using Never: Sub+never+used to+Verb 1st form.
More Examples: Affirmative:
He bought the toys.
I gave him money.
They encouraged the people.
We saw there everything.
She became a professor.
I did not know him.
She did not meet me.
We did not promise him anything.
The children did not understand the lesson.
The doctor did not cure the patient.
Did you forgive him?
Did she not like you?
What did you decide for your career?
When did they reach their destination?
How did you recognize him?
Example Sentence In Hindi And English :
1. Affirmative Sentence Example :
हमने उसकी सहायता की।
We helped him.
पिता ने बच्चों को खाना दिया।
The father gave food for the children.
कल हमें आपका बक्सा मिला।
We got your box yesterday.
मैंने एक गाना गाया।
I sing a song.
मैंने उसे झूठ बोलने के लिए डाटा।
I rebuked him for telling lies.
हमने प्रयोगशाला देखी।
We saw the laboratory.
कृष्ण ने कंस को मारा।
Krishna killed kans.
हमने कपडे बांटे।
We distributed clothes.
मैं अमरेश पूरी से मिला।
I met Amrish Puri.
2. Negative Sentence Example :
वे अपना रास्ता नहीं भूले।
They did not lose the way.
अनु ने एक गाना नहीं गाया।
Anu did not sing a song.
उसने पत्र नहीं लिखा।
He did not wrote a letter.
उसने उसे माफ नहीं किया।
He did not forgive her.
उसे पेन नहीं मिला।
He did not find the pen.
उन्होंने फूटबोल मैच नहीं खेला।
They did not play a footbol match.
घर की घंटी नही बजी।
The home bell did not ring.
मैंने साइकिल नहीं बेची।
I did not sell the cycle.
3. Interrogative Sentence Example :
क्या मोहन आगरा गया?
Did Mohan go to Agra?
क्या मैंने फिल्म में भाग नहीं लिया?
Did I not take part in the film?
क्या उसने मुझे क्रोध नहीं दिलाया था?
Did he not annoy me?
क्या उसने उत्तर नहीं दिया?
Did he not take the answer?
क्या लोकेश दिल्ली गया था?
Did Lokesh go to Delhi.
क्या हम कल बाजार गए थे?
Did we go to market yesterday?
क्या उन्होंने लड़ाई नहीं की?
Did they not fight?
क्या उसके बेटे ने गाना नहीं लिखा?
Did his son not write a song?