The word Gyan means wisdom in Sanskrit. Thus, practicing the Gyan Mudra is believed to help instill wisdom and spiritual enlightenment. This is also known as the Chin Mudra, Dhyan Mudra or Janana Mudra or vayu vardhak mudra .This mudra is also known as the mudra of knowledge because practise of this mudra increase vayu in our body by which the level of knowledge and mind gets enhanced .
How to do Gyan Mudra
1. Sit in any comfortable posture like Sukha Asana, Vajra Asana or Padma Asana. You can also do it while standing in the Tada Asana or sitting comfortably on a chair.
2. Your back should be held straight and your chest and head held up high.
3. Rest your hands on your knees with your palms facing upwards.
4. Touch the tip of the index finger to the tip of the thumb. The rest of the finger should be held straight and parallel to each other. This Mudra is performed with both hands.
5. Close your eyes and focus on your breath.
6. To further enhance the effectiveness of the Gyan Mudra, you may chant the word Om (Aum) in conjunction with every exhale.
7. It should be practiced for 45 minutes a day to see its major effects.
Benefits of Gyan Mudra
1. Relax the body and focus the mind. It also helps to relieve stress and transcend worldly problems.
2. It increase air element within your body.
3. Effective in cases of mental ailment, imparts happiness, develops intellect , memory is sharpened.
4. It is also helpful to improve mind power and leads to spiritual enlightenment.
5. It stimulate the Brain, and strengthened the nervous system. Also strengthens pituitary gland and strengthens all the muscles in the body.
6. It also facilitates movements of electrical impulses along nerves.
7. It helps cure problems of dullness of mind, lack of enthusiasm or creativity, loss of memory, disorders of drowsiness, lethargy, mental retardation, nervous system weakness, neuropathy, Hypopituitarism, Hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Hypoadrenalism, vocal paralysis, respiratory paralysis, monoplane, paraplegia, hemiplegia, quadriplegia, etc.
TIME DURATION FOR GYAN MUDRA – Daily practise of vayu vardhak mudra about for 30 minutes in the morning and for 30 minutes in the evening gives better results . Daily practise of this gyan mudra increase vayu in the body , which strengthen our nervous system .
Precautions While Doing Gyan Mudra – When this mudra is used in theraputic purposes it is called as Vayu-vardhak mudra. The practice of Vayu-vardhak mudra increases air element within the body. The increase if air element will give side effects for the person who are Vata prakrati or who have indigestion and gastritis.So person should be totally careful about his or her prakriti .
To Read This In Hindi – Gyan Mudra in Hindi